My weakness is Canadian products. I can’t help but be intrigued by Canadian competitors, and what they have to offer. One of the closet local cloth diaper brands to me is owned and operated out of my own province: Nuggles! One of my favourite products is the Simplee and earlier this year, Nuggles revamped it releasing the Nuggles Simplee 2.0.
This post contains affiliate links and purchases from these links may result in a small comission back to me. Happy shopping.
As we know already, I love AIO cloth diapers, and the Nuggles! Simplee 2.0 functions as multi-use shell. With snap in inserts, it can easily be left assembled and used as an AIO function, or as a pocket, or as a shell. For those reasons, I had to own one. And when the Simplee 2.0 was released it gave me the opportunity to pick up a print, I was long time lusting afterwards: Capn Jack.
All About Nuggles!
Nuggles! is a Canadian owned and operated cloth diaper company. Based out of their Kamloops, BC headquarters, Nuggles! dedicates themselves to working with responsible production facilities abroad. Manufactured in China, they strive to produce a high-quality product in exceptional facilities.
Nuggles Simplee 2.0
The Nuggles Simplee 2.0 is similar to its predecessor. It’s still the same shape offering sizing options from 8-40lbs. It offers a 2×4 rise snap option and comes with 2-4ply bamboo terry inserts. And you can forget the amazing-ness that is the second set of gussets!
The 2.0 differs from the original in that it now comes with a microfleece stay dry inner (previously bamboo). Nuggles! changed the position of the hip snaps. The hip snaps were moved from the lower half of the tab to the upper half of the tab. 2
The Simplee 2.0 is a multi-use shell. It functions in almost any capacity you want. You can choose to snap in the bamboo inserts and use the diaper in an All In One function (snap located at the front). Or use it as a pocket and stuff it (openings at the front and back). Or use it as a shell, and lay down your inserts, tossing it in the dirty bin when it’s soiled, and letting it air dry between uses. Personal preference is to use it as a pocket.
What to Love
- Sizing – I absolutely love Nuggles! because all of their diapers, including the Simplee 2.0 are generous in their sizing. It’s by far one of the largest diapers on the market, and with a chunky baby like mine, this is most definitely a selling point for me.
- Hip Snaps – I love hip snaps for keeping the wings in place, no sag, and no need for silly wing lifts. I was sceptical of the change in the hip snap location, the previous location had never been a problem for me, but it is a definite improvement and gives a much nicer, cleaner fit.
- Versatility – you can use this diaper whatever way you want. Because I’m not a fan of the inserts (see below), I miss out on the AIO function, but as a pocket, it’s easy to stuff and easy to wash.
- Belly PUL – Did you notice the band of PUL along the inside of the tummy? I love that its there! A few of pocket diapers don’t have this function, and I find that these diapers are prone to tummy leaks. For me, this panel of PUL gives additional protection against leaks.
- Generous Pocket – you can stuff this diaper with almost anything you want, and there will be room. It has a nice large opening at the back, as well as a slit up front (ensuring all inserts agitate out) that helps you ensure the insert is right where you want it.
Whats Not to Love
- Insert Absorbency – The absorbency of 4 ply bamboo terry inserts is nothing to write home about. I always found them a little flimsy to the touch and opted to stuff it with a trifold prefold of my choosing. A simple absorbency testing suggests the small insert holds a mere 3 oz of water and the large about 7 oz.
This is an easy fix! Any prefold or flat cloth diaper will easily meet your littles absorbency. I hear Nuggles! has a competitive insert themselves (I just haven’t tried it yet – but I picked up the cotton ones this past Black Friday, and will be eyeing up the Terry shortly )
- Double Rise Snaps – this will almost always be a complaint of mine, and the Nuggles Simplee 2.0 is no exception. I just can’t handle the diaper bulge that appears after a couple of minutes of play. It’s not smooth, or flattering.
I always recommend Nuggles Simplee 2.0 when parents are looking for a long lasting diaper for bigger babies. Worried you’re little will outgrow other major brands? Try a Nuggles! It won’t disappoint.
Canadian’s can pick one up at Nuggles!