It’s been almost exactly one year since I discovered Smart Bottoms. Their 3.1 AIO diaper has been a long time favourite on my chunky toddler, and I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the Smart-Fold prefold diapers. Since writing this I had the opportunity to check out the Dream Diaper and Dream Diaper 2.0. Naturally, I have been stoked about trying out the Born Smarts. If you’ve see them online, or in person, you know they are absolutely adorably squish-worthy.
Disclosure: Not all posts on this blog are sponsored; this one isn’t. But I do use comissioned links in this post. Purchases from these link are no extra cost. If you have any questions please contact me.
Before we begin, can we gush about how beautiful the Smart Bottoms Born Smart is? It’s absolutely adorable. Charlotte is one of my favourite prints, and my husband agrees. Which is probably why it was the first diaper we put on Little Miss as soon as we go home from the hospital (plus, I knew we could get this on with the umbilical cut out). the exclusive at Itsy Bitsy Bums is also my favourite print – BFF – both the story behind this print and the design makes me fall in love with more and more.
Born Smart Design
The Born Smart newborn cloth diaper is beautifully designed. This organic cotton All in One is designed to fit babies 6-16lbs. It comes with one rise sitting, and a beautifully crafted umbilical cut out (versus a traditional snap down).
Inside the diaper, you’ll find 4 layers of Smart Bottoms cotton in a pocket like feature with rolled elastics (love them or hate them). This allows you to stuff additional absorbency. You’ll also find an additional 4 layer booster than can be snapped on top (you will more than likely need this, don’t loose it, or misplace it).
If you’re familiar with the dream diaper it has some of the same ideas with the pocket and interchangeable insert.
The Real World Experience
Once you finally get this diaper prepped, the Smart Bottoms Born Smart is a beautiful diaper. I absolutely loved using it on my Little Miss and any time I see a collection of Born Smarts I just swoon… so much beauty in one place.
Before we consider the nitty gritty, don’t forget to prep your Born Smart. The Smart Bottoms cotton line up in their 3.1, Too Smart Insert and the Born Smart NEEDS TO BE PREPPED. Did you read that loud and clear? And not just any prepping, but like serious prep. Smart Bottoms suggests 6-8 times, but if you do the drop water test it may vary based on your detergent, water and more. I found it took almost 12-15 washes before I was thoroughly satisfied with this diaper. Start prepping this in your third trimester with every load of laundry.
Loving on the Born Smart
- Natural Fibres: Naturally, I love that the Smart Bottoms Born Smart is a made with organic cotton. It makes me feel good putting natural fibres against my little girl. The Thirsties Newborn also offers a natural fibre option.
- Umbilical Cut Out – how cute is the umbilical cord cut it out? It makes just the right cut for keeping the stump clean and dry.
- Pocket AIO – The pocket style AIO is one of my preferred diaper styles as it allows easy absorbency boosting. If you need more absorbency its easy enough to add in the pocket!
- Adequate Absorbency – while the Smart Bottoms Born Smart rated well compared to other newborn cloth diapers during my absorbency testing (total of ~8 oz with the booster); I found my real life working experience was a bit of a let down and I needed to remember to boost it.
- Absorbency is split between the pocket inner and a the additional booster. Both consist of 4 layers of cotton.
- Quick to Dry – because both layers of absorbency are relatively thin this diaper dries up really quick and easy.
- Super Cute Fit – Can it be awesome that this diaper just looks awesome on my baby?
Some Real Life Critiques
- Not Stay Dry – because of the natural fibre awesome-ness of this diaper, there isn’t a stay dry liner for wee newborns. Many newborn babies experience wetness sensitivity and might not be a fan. Easy fix: add a fleece liner.
- Small Fit – Little Miss is 10lbs and I’m beginning to doubt how much more time we have in these. Smart Bottoms claims the Born Smart might work until 16lbs… Unless she gains all her weight in the face, arms and grows in length, I can’t imagine using these much longer.
- Rolled Elastics – you love or hate rolled elastics. Personally, I love them. But if you’re not a fan of rolled elastics this might be a downer for you. Just remember to roll those before, after or during wearing. If you dont like them dont think about the newborn Blueberry simplex either.
The Smart Bottoms Born Smart is an absolutely gorgeous newborn cloth diaper. It is super easy to use on wee little squishes.
I really wanted to buy more, but I didn’t think I would have enough time to prep them before my little girl outgrew them. So, if you want to have a stash of Born Smarts, buy them and prep them before you baby joins the family because there might not be the time once they are here (at least if your baby grows like mine do).
If I was build a newborn cloth diaper stash again, I would definitely keep and recommend the Smart Bottoms Born Smart.