Spending the day in Jasper without a vehicle is a little different compared to other adventures to this beautiful Canadian National Park. In the past, we’ve jumped in the car and done all the typical “things to do in Jasper.” We’ve driven to the Icefields or checked out Pyramid Lake or some of the other great hikes in the area.
On this trip, we arrived by train, and without car seats, we were trapped in the inner core of Jasper. Things to do in Jasper with Kids and WITHOUT A CAR becomes a less short, and less impressive list.
Travel with Toddlers Wake Up
The thing about travelling and exploring cities with babies is it comes with a different pace and different expectations. Traveling with babies is much easier, and travelling with toddlers is much harder. We took on Rome with a baby, but Jasper with two kids, that was an entirely different game.
I used to be a connoisseur of museums and shopping, but now that world is a little different with little people in tow. We opted to slow down this trip, and returned to our hotel for a nap. In the past, we have tackled a museum with a sleeping baby or gone for a long day hike. Now, with a toddler (and a baby), we change our travel style and take on different things. It’s not bad; it’s just different. It still makes for wonderful memories.
Things to do in Jasper with Kids & Toddlers
- Find a Playground. We checked out Centennial Playground, but there’s a few more in town too – if you check the maps they have a little swing icon for a playground should be. Nothing beats a happy toddler whooshing down a slide.
- Take Advantage of a Hotel Pool. Hotel pools are the closest thing I’ll ever get to a private pool. I love the luxury of spending time with two kids in an empty pool. We spent a fair chunk of time before nap swimming and burning off energy with the kids. I’m so glad I chose a hotel with a pool.
- Stop in for hot chocolates and treats. Bakeries, ice cream shops and more. They all call your name, so whether you stop in at the Bear Paw, the Other Bear Paw or even Coco’s Cafe for a warm drink and a cookie, you won’t be disappointed. Nothing makes a toddler happier than a cookie.
- Eat a meal, or two, or more. You’ll be surprised how much time is taken up with meal time. Most of our day was devoured just by feeding tiny children. No fear, this gives you plenty of time to try new restaurants and tackle table manners. #kidding.
- Meander along at a toddler place to explore of the townsite. We spent most of our time wandering at a toddler pace. We had to stop and check out every bush, every pile of rocks, and every ice puddle. This toddler meander was enough to burn half a day. He also loved looking in all the windows in the townsite. The displays and trinkets captivated him. I dare not go in because it was a fight to leave the store without a meltdown.
- Find out all the bears and trains! Jasper is home to not one but two display trains. Moreover, you’ll find more than one bear statue in and around the townsite.
Whats your favourite thing to do in Jasper with Kids?
Tell me more! I would love to know what else to do with kids (specifically little people) in the Jasper area. We will likely be back as Jasper is a quick drive from our place or a long train ride.