There’s nothing quite like getting a piece diaper jerky in the mail. I’m almost always amazed a cloth diaper can shrink up like that and excited to break the seal and watch it expand. As I write these words, I realise I should have filmed it! Our most recent piece of jerky mail came from Cloth Diaper Kids. As one of Canada’s premier Smart Bottoms Retailers, we thought we’d let you know why the Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper 2.0 is better, more amazing, and your best choice when shopping Smart Bottoms.
This post is brought to you by Cloth Diaper Kids. Bloggers like me receive product or compensation to write reviews. A lot of energy goes into making this happen and keeping these spaces on the web. This post contains affiliate links.
I purchased a Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper the week before Smart Bottoms announced a new and improved Dream Diaper 2.0. Man was I irked. First, I kicked myself for waiting around so long. And Second, the Dream Diaper went on crazy clearance.
Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper
Smart Bottoms released the Dream Diaper late 2016. The Dream Diaper is portrayed as a night time cloth diaper solution when used with the night time inserts (sold separately). Dream Diaper is very similar to the Smart Bottoms standard AIO (the 3.1), but with modifications. I’m going to call it a all-in-one cloth diaper because it checks all the boxes for being one, but with more features.
Dream Diaper 2.0 features the same characteristics as the original Dream Diaper but with some twerks to make things better.
The exterior of the diaper is made from PUL and features the Smart Bottoms 4 rise settings, double waist snap, and the male facing snaps along the diaper waist panel. These features remain constant across the Smart Bottoms line up and remain the same from the Dream Diaper to the Dream Diaper 2.0.
Dream Diaper is a more narrow diaper than the Smart Bottom Too Smart or 3.1. The original Dream Diaper is the most narrow, and the Dream Diaper 2.0 is now wider based on customer feedback. This additional width in the crotch is noticeable but not as wide as a standard Smart Bottoms.you might go, hey, but skinny = better. Not always. Not if it gives you a weird fit, and you can’t stuff it full of absorbency.
Inside the Dream Diaper, both models have a front opening pocket made out of a hemp/cotton blend. A long skinny insert attaches with TWO snaps at the back of the diaper. The insert is made of the same hemp/cotton blend and remains steadfast between the two models. Unlike the Smart Bottoms 3.1 the Dream Diaper does not require additional prepping. Dream Diapers are ready to use straight out from the package.
Key Differences between the Dream Diaper and the Dream Diaper 2.0
- 2.0 is wider in the crotch. (6 inches instead of 5 inches)
- 2.0 has a stitched reinforced pocket opening.
Is the Dream Diaper 2.0 Better?
At first, I didn’t know what the big deal was, but after using my Dream Diaper 2.0, I much prefer it over the original Dream Diaper.
- No more funny waist with the unreinforced pocket.
- A better fit. That bigger, extra inch gives me a better fitting diaper with both kids. I snapped down the rise on the Dream Diaper 2.0 and got a super trim fit on both kids. It is hard to explain, but the original Dream Diaper is just not a great fit, and this is especially noticeable on my toddler.
Dream Diaper Awesome-ness
In general, the Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper is awesome. I have a fairly substantial Smart Bottoms 3.1 stash, but going forward I choose the Dream Diaper for these four reasons.
- Narrow Crotch – super easy and trim fit, even more trim than the already trim 3.1.
- No Prep Cotton – nothing is more of a buzz kill then washing a Smart Bottoms cotton diaper 12-14 times to get it prepped and ready. Because the Smart Bottoms 3.1 comes unbleached, unprepped, you’ll need to wash it and wash it. It took 14 washes before my Born Smart stopped beading up water.
- Pocket Opening – I have yet to use the pocket, but I like the idea of the pocket. My kids aren’t super soakers, so I rarely need to add additional absorbency, but I like the idea of the pocket for additional versatility. You could easily add your favourite Smart Bottoms Smart Fold in it and have an amazing diaper.
- Absorbency: With 30% more absorbency than the original Dream Diaper, the Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper 2.0 has yet to leak, or max out with either kids during daytime naps or outings.
Improvements I wish Smart Bottoms would Make.
The Smart Bottom Dream Diaper is pretty awesome. I’m always thoroughly impressed with the quality of the product and the prints. However, here’s a couple tweaks I think Smart Bottoms should make.
- Insert Snaps on the INSIDE of the pocket. I want to snap my inserts into the pocket for mess free clean up, and less finagling on the exterior.
- What’s the deal with that pocket anyways? If you use it, tell me how and where, and when? I know they had issues with the fit of the pocket opening, but the new pocket opening is still narrow and hard to stuff.
Buy it at Cloth Diaper Kids Today
Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper 2.0 is exceptionally well made and a favourite grab in my cloth diaper stash. Made in the USA, these quality diapers offer versatility and a sleek trim overall fit. Don’t’ be scared by the price, because the quality hemp/cotton blend, narrow crotch, along with a sneaky little pocket helps make this diaper everything you want and more. Canadians can pick it up at Cloth Diaper Kids with free shipping at $75CDN.