Let’s be honest; flat cloth diapers are just boring. Who cares about flat cloth diapers when there’s a world of exciting new print releases around EVERY CORNER? Well I do. I’m a little obsessed with flat diapers and I’m here to tell you flat diapers are UNDER RATED, and the HumBird Stretchy Hemp flats are like nothing I’ve tried before.
Before we get going, I’m going to disclose that I received this product in exchange for my review and this post contains affiliate links. Purcahsing from my affiliate links is no extra cost at you.
You’re reading this going “come on Bailey; you use receiving blankets and t-shirts for diapers, why are you crossing over to WAHM flat diapers?” I know, I do, and I probably won’t ever be using receiving blankets and t-shirts again (okay, I will, but if I could, I wouldn’t). HumBird Stretchy Hemp flats are AMAZING because I every time I change her diaper I think “is she dehydrated, or is this flat THAT absorbent?” The flat is that absorbent. I’m not kidding. And for that reason, along with the silky soft stretchy goodness, I’m crossing over to the world of WAHM flat diapers.
HumBird Stretchy Flat Cloth Diapers
Available in a variety of different sizes ranges, HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flats are made from a hemp blend consisting of 47% hemp, 38% organic cotton, and 15% stretch terry cloth fabric for a total of 310gsm. It is a true flat cloth diaper in that it is a SINGLE layer of material with a serged edge. One side is smooth, and one side is terry cloth (loopy).
It’s pretty much the softest luscious square of fabric ever. That’s what you need to know.
To use any Flat Cloth Diaper, including the HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flats there are two main strategies.
- Just pad fold and use in your favourite cloth diaper cover or pocket diaper.
- Fold onto your baby using any of your favourite fold (Kit Folds, Happy Anteater, and more) and secure with a Snappi/Boingo/Diaper Pin and use a cover.
You can use a typical PUL cover, OR you could use one of HumBird’s Wool Diaper covers. Wool is AMAZING and we’ll talk about in an upcoming post. #wooladdict
What I Love
I love HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flats for all the reasons I love flats: simple to use, simple to wash, trim bums, absorbent and customizable.
- Absorbency: These flats blow it out of the park for daytime absorbency. We would go 2-3 hours, and the outside of the diaper was barely damp. I don’t consider her a heavy wetter, but she’s no fairy princess.
- A single HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flat didn’t hold up overnight, but 12 hours of pee requires a double duty of anything.
- I used TWO HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flat Cloth Diapers in a fold for girls, and we woke up just right without the bulk.
- Sizing: It looks and feels small, but it is the perfect size folded onto Little Miss at 17lbs.
- I attempted to fold it onto my toddler, but he’s in potty training mode and would much rather do anything else but sit still for me and let me pin on a flat diaper.
- Made in Germany: You have to add all the extra love for handmade products and HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flats are handmade in Germany and ship with speed.
- If you’re Canadian, you know Canada Post is SLOW. I’m tempted to believe HumBird would arrive before something ordered across the country. #justmyopinion #notactualfact
- Wash & Dry: I’m impressed with how the HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flat cloth diapers wash up and dry. It shrunk marginally, but still held its shape (no rectangles here). The first couple of times in the dryer it produced lint like crazy, but now it’s calmed down. I like to put things in the dryer (keep it simple), but these would dry up quickly on the line too!
What I Don’t Love
Pad fold Bulk: I find HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flats too bulky when folded into my staple pad fold (in half, half, and then thirds) for Little Miss compared to her prefold diapers. HOWEVER, I was able to fold it into a super trim pad fold for Little Man using a different fold strategy (more on that later), but that fold was too long for Little Miss.
Buy more than one Hemp Flat and BUY ALL the HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flats. Flat cloth diapers are already awesome, and if you have the budget to splurge on something more than Flour Sack Towels and Receiving Blankets DO IT. Splurging on these WAHM flat cloth diapers is worth it, and these HumBird Stretchy Hemp Flats aren’t going anywhere. I can’t seem to wash them enough, and defnitely be considering buying MORE.
Love these Flats? You can buy them here at HumBird. Don’t be scared of the European address because shipping is WORLDWIDE and reasonable. Follow her for all the newest and greatest products on Facebook.