The products purchased in this review were done solely by myself, Bailey, and the views and opinions are 100% my own.
Recently, I have taken on the endeavour of trying out new prefolds. A fellow cloth diaper mom friend of mine is a connoisseur in these things, and for months I’ve been listening to her ramble on about the amazingness of other prefolds. Meanwhile, I remained stash happy with my 24 infant sized cotton Bummi’s prefolds. But, its time to venture out into the world of the unknown and try out a new brand. First up, the Smart Bottoms prefold! Affectionately known as the Smartfold Organic Prefold.
I have been a not so recent convert to Smart Bottoms. I have already fallen head over heels for their all-in-one diaper: Smart Bottoms 3.1. I have tried the the too smart inserts, but have been feeling meh about those, and I’ve stocked up on a couple Smart Covers, and might have a Born Smart (or two) ready for Baby #2. So, naturally, the Smart Bottoms prefold needed to be the next product to try.
Smart Bottoms is an amazing company to purchase diapering products from because their products are 100% made in the USA. I think thats seriously awesome. Part of my commitment to cloth diapering is sourcing products that are ethically produced, and I love supporting jobs in my own backyard (which I consider to include the US & Canada).
Smartfold Organic Prefold
The Smart Bottoms prefold is aptly known as the Smartfold. It is sold in three different sizes – small, medium, and large. Straight out of the simplistic packing the Smart Bottoms prefold immediately feels different than their other cotton based products (which are delightfully smooth to the touch. Because the Smartfold is composed of a 45% organic cotton and 55% hemp, it is a rougher (yet soft) texture to it. Upon close inspection you will find is set up in a trifold fashion with 2x3x2 layers.
Sizing amongst prefolds varies greatly amongst differ brands and so I picked up one of each size. I wasn’t sure what size would work best (after shrinking) for my 27lb toddler, and knew for sure we would need smaller prefolds for the upcoming baby.
Straight out of the package the Smart Bottoms prefold is already a familiar shape and size. It looks very similiar to the shape of other brands I was familiar with (GroVia & Bummi’s).
Small is intended for babies under 16lbs; Medium is adequate for any size child, and the Large is suitable for 24lbs+ and heavy wetters.
Here’s what you need to know about sizing and absorbency from the three sizes available from the Smart Bottoms prefold. Keep in mind that any absorbency is purely an estimate. Absorbency specifics change depending on a variety of factors not limited to wash routine, water, and method. I like to use my simple and sweet absorbency testing method to give me an idea of scale of how this product holds up compared to other products.
What’s to Love <3
- Absorbency: The LARGE SmartFold is AMAZING. Watching it absorb was magical.
- Snappi! The Snappi catches on prefold! This is a win! And it was pretty easy too (I also trust a Boingo would catch too)
- Sizing: Three very versatile and perfect size options.
- Small should be perfect for little newborns!
- Medium is perfect for babies and beyond. Fold it on early on, or pad fold it for later on.
- Large is a great size for folding onto 25lb+ toddlers!
- Relatively Trim: I’m not about to rave that it’s the trimmest, because I don’t believe it is. But it’s not overly fluffy and thats something to love.Pad folded into a medium (as seen below) it’s a nice trim tush in a Smart Cover Naturally, folded on its a little bulkier, but my my folding skills are only subpar.
- It’s a PREFOLD: not just some foldable insert. Super easy to trifold and use as an insert in your favourite diaper, or to boost your 3.1. And perfect for folding onto little babies (extra absorbency down the middle!)
- Reasonable Price Point. It’s on par for similar products, of similar quality. I’d argue that the Large size is the most bang for your buck. With a modest increase over the smaller sizes, the price per ounce of absorbency is AMAZING – considering it rivals the Nighttime Flip Insert which comes with a pricier price tag.
What’s Not to Love </3
- I don’t love that the SMALL and MEDIUM Smart Fold is just a SMALL change in size, and a SMALL change in absorbency. (I think I measured a difference of a couple oz…). I really expect more from a size change.
- The edges curl. thats pretty petty, but its true, they curl and it looks funny, but thats about it.
- I’m not so sold on the lack of stitching down of the insert… I can feel the middle triple layer beginning to riffle a little. Will see how that fares with further wash and wear, but makes me skeptical its not visibly stitched down.
Of course you should invest in some SmartBottoms SmartFolds. You definitely need them. But I’m always going to be an enabler. I think these are an amazing USA MADE option for families looking for some absorbency in their stash.
The Large sized SmartFold is the best investment for those heavy wetter toddlers out there. I would fold it up lengthwise, or snappi it on with a booster to make it thru the night for smaller tykes my 27lb chunk.
The Small Sized SmartFold looks, feels, and acts perfect for the little squishes in your life. and guess what it is perfect for a newborn! I’m beginning to understand most newborn sized prefolds are not very absorbent, and this small sized prefold matches most larger sizes without the added size bulk. I love stuffing it pad folded in an AMP size Small pocket diaper, or a Size 1 apple cheek. I also love using it on her with a snappi.