As you might know, Earth Day is quickly approaching and like all good things this is one of the best days of the year to score a sweet deal on cloth diapers around the world. Why? Well, it’s become of our consumer behaviour to have a sale on reusable products during the month of April to encourage you to make the shift… because sometimes when we put it on sale, the world is a little happier.
This year is no different than the years in the past, and you can some expect some amazing sales and promotions from your favourite brands. But you’re probably here because you want a sneak peek… you want to know the details about what is going on and if you need to wait or not.
Now if you have your eyes on a product that is limited in supply and going fast, you might not want to wait, because for many suppliers and retailers once it’s gone, it’s gone.
But if you’re not picky, and you just want to pick up your diapers. Then this is the time to do. Before we get to far along, we need to have a little serious conversation… cloth diapers are not like televisions at Black Friday. The mark up on product is not as drastic as many think it is. Yes, you can purchase cheap diapers from co-ops and all that jazz, but for many brands that’s not the diaper they purchase. The diaper they purchase is much more expensive, and then they have to add in all their businesses expensive, and hopefully make a profit.
This Earth Day, if your wondering why the sales aren’t better or deeper, it’s because we can’t go into debt for the sake of diapering of babies. I know many of us would give the world, but we have to find balance and support ourselves and you in balance.
How to prepare for Cloth Diaper Earth Day 2022 Sales
Some brands have announced promotions, some brands have not. Some insist I wait a few more days, and some will be okay with you knowing. It’s a little of everything based on everyone’s strategy and tactic.
- Make a plan – what do you actually need to buy. Because when the sales drop you might not know where or what you need. But let’s slow it down, do you need build a stash from scratch, or are you adding new inserts to make night time work, or do you need to boost your daycare stash. Let’s write this out so you know what to look for, and who to buy from when the time comes.
- If you want to know all the potential sales, get on my email list and follow the directory for daily updates. Some promotions are public, and some will be dropping every day up till Earth Day.
- Snoop around on the websites of the retailers and brands that you want to shop – see if they have the product, double check what they even offer and familiarize yourself with their products and options. This is also a good time to get to know regular pricing and see if you’ll get a deal or just the fan fare of the event. Some retailers will dump carts periodically, so don’t rely on filling a cart with the hopes of checking out at midnight.
- Looking for a specific brand? Join their newsletter and community spaces – whether that’s a Facebook group, discord channel, or their favourite social media space. Remember to turn on notifications if necessary.
- Secure financing – what is your budget, where will you be spending that money, and do you have it all figured out for easy check out with your retailer.
Generally – most brands will offer the same promotional sale across retailers. For example, all retailers of GroVia will have the same sale. What will differ is retailer bonuses. This is more prominent in the United States where we see points, freebies, and giveaways depending on your spend.
I know that Charlie Banana, Esembly Baby, and Becebe Diapers will have some AMAZING Earth Day sales coming in the next few days.
It might be a good time to take a moment to see if you have a retailer near you or one that you have had a good recommendation. I like to shop with local-ish, or regional retailers just because shipping is quicker and cheaper. In Canada, we’ve seen a rise in shipping costs when the distance gets much larger.
What you really want to know – is it worth it to wait till the night before Earth Day? To be honest, after some time, every sale begins to feel the same. They all begin to blur into each other. The best sales and the real scores in the industry is when the unfortunate happens and a retailer closes shop. But generally it’s the 10-30% discount across products whether its’ Earth Day or Black Friday. The trick of the question – does the brand have the stock to support you.
If the brand you want to add to your stash hasn’t done a sale at all this year, this is a good time to buy. Some brands are no sale at all, but some brands stick to a very tight schedule and only offer promotions a few times a year. If the brand you want to add regularly does sales, then Earth Day might not be a big deal.
One thing to look out this Earth Day —- new print releases. I have had a look at the new Cloth Diaper Kids Thirsties exclusive, and I’ll just say… you want it. Yes you do. It probably won’t be on sale, but it’s super cute. So cute. So cute that I’m trying hard not to spoil the surprise.
If you have something you NEED, shopping Earth Day is a fantastic time to add more to your stash, upgrade your absorbency, or purchase a gift for a friend. It’s also a great time to encourage others to think about reusables. Take some time to share the giveawaysx, celebration and opportunities with your friends.
The best way to make cloth mainstream is word of mouth – it’s slow, but it’s happening. One parent and one diaper at a time.