A few weeks ago now, I participated in the 8th Annual Flats & handwashing for the third time. During this challenge, I used my dream stash of flat diapers and I also got the chance to put Imagine Stretchy Bamboo Flats to the test.
Disclosure: I connected with Imagine Baby to do this review. They sent a set of Imagine Stretchy Bamboo Flats to me in exchange for this review. I do use affiliate links in this post.
We’ve been using them for a few weeks now, and I’ve got 3 very good reasons why Imagine Stretchy Bamboo Flats are awesome.
But first, let’s talk about a few key design features you probably want to know about. Start with a reminder that flat cloth diapers are the original cloth diaper. It’s a simple square piece of material folded and used as an absorbency in a diaper or under a cloth diaper cover.
Imagine Stretchy Bamboo Flats
Imagine already makes one type of flat cloth diaper – a printed birdseye cotton Flat. These are very different. Imagine Stretchy Bamboo Flats are stretchy giving a 4-way stretch with each 27.5″ x 27.5″ flat diaper.
Imagine Stretchy Flats don’t shrink when laundered and feature rainbow stitching around the edge. I didn’t find they needed too much prepping, a couple of washes and good to go.
One side is smooth while the other features a looped material.
3 Reasons for Awesome
- Wickedly Absorbant
- Absorbency is not a concern mine because my baby pees fairy dust, but notably, the Imagine Stretchy Flat is amazing.
- I would speculate they are 1.5 – 2 times more absorbent than the Imagine Cotton Flat Diaper (That’s an estimated 12-16 ounces without kitchen science).
- Bamboo comes in all sorts of qualities and absorbencies, but this stretchy material produced by Imagine does not disappoint.
- A Wonderful Size
- This is a great size for folding onto baby, and then using a padfold on a bigger toddler. Padfolded it is about the size of a Size 3 GroVia Prefold or a Buttons Size 3 (frame of reference).
- It folds onto on my youngest like a breeze.
- Worthy Stretch
- if you want to fold cloth diapers onto a baby, then stretch is really the way to go. It makes the fit just that much tighter, easier, and neater.
- Stretch is amazing.
A few other amazing things about the Imagine Stretchy Flat.
- Dries overnight.
- Super easy to clean – you could even handwash it.
- Takes a Snappi or Boingo claws like a champ – no need for pins if that’s not your thing.
What’s not so awesome?
They feel kinda expensive. In Canada, they are sourced at $24.95 each at Lagoon Baby. In the USA, they come in at $19.95. This makes them more expensive than the GroVia prefold size 3 which I would consider similar absorbency. However, compared to WAHM pricing they are a more affordable option. There’s also just nothing else like it directly at cloth diaper retailers.
Flats kinda suck to fold. Just put that out there. These are bulky when used as a padfold because there is a good amount of thick absorbent material. But folded on you wouldn’t even know.
But How Do I Use Them?
Flats are so simple, but I can understand why they might feel intimidating.
When in doubt, just make it up. You really can’t screw it up too much, it’s just a diaper, and there’s no right or wrong ways to do something if it gets the job done.
Do you like a little stretch in your flat diapers?
I think I do. I’m absolutely smitten over these mostly because they are so absorbent compared to standard cotton flats. While bulky, thats only in comparison to the Cotton Imagine Flats. Folded onto baby, these are as trim as you can imagine.
I would buy these again and I definitely recommend them to someone looking to get into flat cloth diapers.
You can buy Imagine Stretchy Bamboo Flats at these affiliate retailers or direct from Imagine.
Kelly’s Closet (USA)
Diaper Junction (USA)