Some cloth diapers just have a reputation of being less than awesome. gDiapers is one, and the bumGenius Little is another. I really didn’t want to try this little diaper, but because I discovered it on the shelf at my local cloth diaper retailer in matching bums to my Flip, I decided, well why not?
Disclosure: Not all posts on this blog are sponsored; this one isn’t. But I do use comissioned links in this post. Purchases from these link are no extra cost. If you have any questions please contact me.
Good News! Since having my newborn, bumGenius redesigned the Little. It now features snaps and an organic inners. It’s also called the bumGenius Littles 2.0. This makes it a better newborn cloth diaper according to feedback in the cloth diaper groups on the internet. I haven’t tried one.
If you love bumGenius products then you might be disappointed in the older style Little newborn cloth diaper made by them. This cloth diaper is a bit of a letdown because its just not functional the way you might need it to be. I love the Elemental, the 5.0 and the Flip Training Pants, and the Elemental Joy is okay, but this diaper is just blah.
all about the bumGenius Little
The bumGenius Little is a little newborn cloth diaper. This little diaper is rated a mere 6-12lbs. It does not have rise snaps, and only comes with a short velcro waist sizing options. In my opinion, these features are really limiting on the overall sizing of this diaper. bumGenius claims the diaper has a low rise for fitting beneath the umbilical stump.
Inside the diaper is a stay dry linning and a microfibre absorbent core. And that’s it. This is a super simple, maybe too simple, newborn cloth diaper. There is no pocket. There is no fancy absorbency. There is no sizing. There is no other fancy features.
bumGenius Little is no longer in production. However, a new and revised 2.0 version is available.
Loving & Hating on the bumGenius Little?
- Love: It’s a far stretch to find something to love about the bumGenius Littles because other newborn cloth diapers are just more versatile. But, if I was to stretch myself, I love the easy to use hook & loop closure. Because this diaper is just so simple there isn’t any fussing around with it.
- Hate: Theres so much to critique about the bumGenius little. I really don’t like to hate on any product, but I’m going to be brutally honest and if you think you want a bumGenius Little, please reconsider adding this diaper to you newborn cloth diaper stash. it just fails to be useful.
- Umbilical Stump Lies: Sorry, bumGenius, but theres no way this diaper was fitting little miss with her stump still in tact. It fits way too high on her waist/belly to get her thighs nice and tight.
- Absorbency Fail: My absorbency test suggest the bumGenius Littles hold a mere 5 oz. Boosting this diaper was a struggle. I added the occasional wipe but didn’t find it sufficient. I tried adding a small GroVia prefold and it was too thick. Both options weren’t ideal in giving a nice fit. Additionally, by adding more absorbency I lost the stay dry.
- Microfibre & Synthetics: I really don’t like synthetics, and I really don’t like microfibre. Microfibre is prone to compression leaks, and littles tend to spend a lot of time in car seats and diaper shirts, and I want a diaper that can stand up to that.
- Small Fit: 6-12lbs isn’t very big, and already at almost 10lbs, I’m hesitant to keep using the bumGenius Little. The velcro waist is starting to max out. I doubt we’ll make it to 12lbs – and as so, I’m putting this diaper away.
Again, let’s recap my brutal honesty. I love bumGenius… but not this product, not the bumGenius Littles. Please save yourself the struggle and skip out on this product.
bumGenius Littles don’t fit for very long, or very well. They lack the absorbency needed for a newborn on a liquid diet, and they are just too short lived for the investment.
I had one friend suggest converting it into a pocket diaper. It sounded like a great idea, but I already know that she’s not going to fit this diaper long enough to make that project worthwhile. Even if she did, I’m sceptical that it would make a nice fitting pocket because I’m already have fit problems with additional boosters.
Stay tuned, I have a lot of other newborn diapers are just amazing. If you have a chunk, you might be able to fit the Elemental shortly. I have yet to try a 5.0 (or any pocket), but the Flip would also be a worthy brand consideration for cloth diapering a newborn using OS Products.