Until recently, I hadn’t heard of the Sweet Pea Cloth Diaper brand, but then they splashed onto the scene. First, I learnt about exclusives at some of the US-based retailers. Sweet Pea Diapers is no longer in business.
My favourite local retailer started carrying Sweet Pea Cloth Diapers this year! It was then, I knew I needed one and because I have a newborn, we started off with the Sweet Pea Newborn All-in-One (AIO). We also have a newborn cover, one size pocket and one size cover.
The Sweet Pea Newborn AIO
The Sweet Pea Newborn AIO cloth diaper is a simple styled diaper. It’s classified as an All-In-One because its got everything rolled into one simple package, but it also makes an awesome Newborn Pocket cloth diaper.
On the outside, the Sweet Pea Newborn AIO is set to fit sizes 6-12lbs with a single snap rise. This super sweet AIO cloth diaper only comes in an aplix closure. The diaper has long wings and a larger overall sizing from my first glance.
Inside the Sweet Pea Newborn AIO is a 3-layer microfibre absorbency sewn into a fleece pocket. The pocket has large openings at the both front and the back of the diaper. The newborn AIO also comes with a simple microfibre insert for additional absorbency.
My Sweet Pea Experience
I have really enjoyed my Sweet Pea Newborn AIO cloth diaper experience with Little Miss. I must admit, I love the cover… but this a review about the AIO, so let’s focus back.
Loving the AIO
- Pocket-style AIO Newborn: A pocket style AIO is one of my favourite styles because I can stuff it with more absorbency. newborns pee lots, and will need more absorbency.
- Generous Pocket: The pocket is easy to stuff. This important if you have big hands like me.
- Room for Absorbency: One of my favourite ways to boost this diapers absorbency is with a Size 1 GroVia Prefold, and it fit just right inside the pocket and still allowed for a great fit on Little Miss.
- Sizing & Fit: This a generously sized newborn cloth diaper. Yet, its not bulky and too chunky for little babies. It seems to fit just right. I’ve loved the sizing and fit on my Little Miss ever since she came home from the hospital.
- The triple snap rise snap is perfection. This is a little thing moment you might not think about. But these beautifully placed snaps provide for the perfectly smooth rise line on the Sweet Pea Newborn AIO.
- Aplix: The aplix tabs and enclosure on this diaper is awesome. It makes for the perfect fit every time. There aren’t many aplix cloth diapers left on the market… bumGenius used to make one and the Thirsties newborn has the option.
- Price Point: This is easily one of the best priced newborn AIO diapers in the Canadian market. The Sweet Pea Newborn AIO is marked at low $14.95 CDN. That’s an amazingly affordable price for a quality built diaper. You can’t pass it up. You shouldn’t. Check out these other affordable one size cloth diapers for Canadians.
Room for Improvement
The Sweet Pea Newborn AIO has a few things that I would like to tweak. That said, most of these critiques are not deal breaks. Instead, they would just make the diaper that much better.
- Natural Fibres: Sweet Pea has announced a new bamboo newborn AIO! I hope to compare this one if Little Miss is still small enough. However, at the time of purchasing these diapers, this wasn’t an option. I wish this diaper embraced some of the awesome-ness of newborns.
- Random Insert Problems: The included microfibre insert/booster is kind of random. I really wish I could snap it in, so I would know where it is.
- Absorbency: 3 layers of microfibre is not enough for a little baby on a liquid diet. There is an additional microfibre insert but see the above problem. You could also add in a tiny GroVia prefold or some small booosterter to get just the right absorbency for your newroon.
- High Rise: The Sweet Pea Newborn AIO is a higher rise newborn cloth diaper. This, along with the lack of umbilical care, this diaper is not suitable for the little ones who still have their stump. If you want umbilical care and a bigger fit you’ll want to look at the newborn Blueberry simplex.
Conclusion & Recommendation
You should definitely buy more than one Sweet Pea Newborn All-In-One. This is a straightforward and versatile cloth diaper that is readily affordable and functional during the newborn cloth diapering stage of life.Unless you have itty bitty babies whose umbilical stumps linger for years, then this newborn cloth diaper is a definite win. It’s generously sized to last you longer than other smaller newborn diapers. I think it fills that awkward transition stage from “too big for newborns, too small for OS.”
Now, what Sweet Pea Diaper should I try next? I reviewed the pocket cloth diaper and the one size cover later this year. Find out more on the newborn cover here.