Next up on my list of Prefolds to try is the Nuggles cotton inserts. These are Made in Canada. This is actually a blunder purchase. I was advised to try the Bamboo Terry inserts/prefolds, but apparently slipped up on my late night Black Friday check out, and ended up with the daytime Naturals Bamboo/Organic Cotton Inserts.
This post contains affiliate links.
So… these aren’t actually much of a prefold. They are definitely more of a trifold insert than a prefold, at least in my books. However, based on their size and recommendations on the Nuggles! the website these might be a great prefold size for my upcoming little one.
You need to know that Nuggles! is a Canadian brand based out of my province – Beautiful British Columbia. I’m already a fan of the Simplee pocket diaper and hoping that these inserts will make a great replacement for the mediocre bamboo inserts that come with.
Naturals Bamboo/Organic Cotton Insert
The Nuggles cotton insert comes in two sizes and two absorbencies. I ordered just the daytime Bamboo/Organic Cotton Insert in BOTH sizes. Both are 2 layers of 70% bamboo and 30% organic cotton.
Size 1 consists of a yellow stitching and is original 11×13 inches in size. It is ideal for folding onto newborns (0-3 months). Size 2 is green stitching and originally 13×16.5 inches. This size can folded onto small infants (under 6 months) and continued use as a trifold in a pocket or cover diaper.
After washing and drying the Size 1 shrunk down to a fair sized 9.5×12 inches. Likewise, the Size 2 shrunk to 11.5×15 inches. This is to be expected on a cotton blend or bamboo insert. You should expect the bamboo to continue to shrink over time with continual wear and love. This is nothing out of character for this fibre, and just normal. theoretically, it should take over a year or two of continual use to see this happen.
Absorbency wise, these little inserts, are exactly that – just little inserts. They did require some prepping, but not much. After 6 washes, they changed 1-2 ounces compared to the initial wash.
The Size 1 absorbed about 6-7 oz. The Size 2 absorbed ~8-10oz.
PS. This is how the small size compares to another major brand. A size 1 Nuggles cotton insert next to a Size 1 GroVia prefold. Very similar sizes (just in case that kind of visual is your thing).
What to Love
- Versatile Folds: Because the insert/prefold is one single thickness (i.e. it does’ have a middle section that is extra absorbent), it works as a perfectly versatile insert. It can be folded lengthwise or widthwise for the best fit into your diapers. Yes, you can do this with any other prefold to, but it often gives you found lumps and bumps and added absorbency where my little man doesn’t need it.
- Natural Organic Material: we can totally love that, right? I like a bamboo/cotton blend too. I feel it gives you the perks of both world. A 100% bamboo insert is prone to too much shrinking over time. The cotton gives it the structure, and the bamboo added absorbency.
- Price Point: These were on the lower end of individually sold inserts (however, this might be reflected by the absorbency).
What’s not to Love
- Sizing: I don’t love that Nuggles cotton insert only comes in two sizes. This makes it a less than convenient for prefolding onto larger infants. but i guess that might be why its labeled an insert instead of a prefold. If you check back in the New Year, I’ll let you in on how these work as a prefold on a little squish.
- Absorbency: The Nuggles cotton insert is just mediocre when compares in absorbency. Yes its a less expensive insert and as such it shows to be a less absorbent than other competitors (however, if you don’t need all that absorbency, no point in paying for it. For littles, or even as a booster, these might be a great addition to your stash).
Real Life (Toddler Style)
Both these inserts were too small to use a prefold on my chunky toddler. Instead, I opted to use it as an insert in his Simplee. My little is pictured wearing the Simplee V.1.
The small insert would have worked if folded it into LONG half or thirds and stuffed it. However, I feared it might not be enough absorbency for even my light-moderate wetter. I opted to use the Size 2. I don’t usually like a WIDE insert, but folded into thirds along the length of the insert, the insert fits perfectly into his Simplee at the current rise snaps (he is third snaps). If I needed it longer, I could have easily folded it into thirds the other way.
The Nuggles Cotton/Bamboo insert is a thicker bum and fit than using the bamboo inserts supplied with the Nuggles! Simplee. However, the Nuggles cotton insert is more absorbent than said bamboo inserts.
Stay posted. When our newest squish arrives on scene this Winter/Spring, we can chat about how this works as a prefold on newborns.
The Nuggles! Natural Bamboo/Cotton Insert is not loved, it’s just whatever. Its another form of absorbency in my stash. I personally not a huge fan of the size for my growing toddler, and his growing bladder I feel we will easily max it out. And we did. Perhaps use it as a booster? But, personally, I would find it a little thick for a booster. There are many other great boosters on the market that would give you a trimmer tush.
I look forward to using both sizes on my little girl in 10-12 weeks. I think the Nuggles cotton insert will be a better fit for a younger/smaller baby.
Next time I order, I’ll try out the Terry inserts/prefolds. I was hoping for something just a little more absorbent. And this is just what it is, nothing super special. However, if you think about the price tag, and if you have a light wetter, who needed 8ish ounces, these would be a good choice.