There’s something about the dead of winter that gives you some inspiration to be crafty. But I’ll be the first to admit, I’m not the most creative of creatives. I enjoy a good craft, but I want instructions to walk me through it. I’m not one to draw her own idea — unless it’s these DIY stick horses I made earlier this month (tutorial coming soon).
Disclosure – some links are affiliate links that earn a commission in sales for purchases made.
During my first bunion surgery, I tried an amazing embroidery kit that I discovered on Instagram… this led to me trying even more kits during my second surgery, and now I have a back order of craft kits coming in the mail because I just had to try them.
I grew up learning to cross stitch, and I still enjoy it. I bought this Hedgehog pattern from Etsy last year and sourced my own threads from Michaels. But I find the stitching tedious and if you miss a stitch, that can be a nightmare of frustration. For that reason, I’ve started to explore embroidery. From embroidery, I found myself down a slope of other kits and crafts to try.
These are a few I’ve ordered myself or might recommend you check out. It can be difficult to find things on the internet. I opt for the kit because following through with supplies is hard.
5 Thread & Fibre DIY Kits
VelvetPony – Floral Hedgehog Cross Stitch Kit – available as a digital download or as a complete kit, this floral hedgehog kit is really fun to finish. I purchased the digital download and was happy with this project because it moved easily and turned out fantastic. I get bored if I stitch the same colour or large blocks, and this pattern gave me a smile.
MaggieGeeEmbroidery – Definitive Traditional Transfer Embroidery Kit ‘Beginnners Blossoms’ – This kit caught my eye because it was simple and fun. I didn’t think I needed a beginners kit after finishing a different project, but it turned out I did. You get never have too much practice with those French Knots, and this kit while simple in it’s design was great repetition and practice of the technique. The Instructions provided were very informative and amazing.
WoolCoutureCompany DIY Macrame Wall Hanging Kit – – because sometimes you want your wall hanging to be made with love and frustration from you. Macrame is incredibly popular, or it was in 2019, and I can’t wait for this addition to my wall. I choose this kit because the pattern and price but I’ll include a few others you should check out below the picture.
Check out these other Macrame Kits for some inspiration and to find a kit that you might love.
- Looking for just a pattern? Skip the supplies and order digital patterns from TamarThings
- Enjoy this simple wall hanging kit from MossPointsNorth.
- Keep it simple, keep to plant hangers with this kit.
- Find all my favourite Macrame Kits & Patterns
HawthornHandmade – Weaving Look Kit – Craft Kit for Beginners – somehow in searching for macrame I discovered these small weaving kits and I found myself drawn to ALL OF THEM. But, after several hours of scrolling, I decided on this sky blue and purple beauty. Check out Hawthorn Handmade for some really cute embroidery patterns.
This is a hole I can see myself falling deep within. I’ll link a few of my other favourite weaving finds below, but the colour combos, textures, and wool just call to me. Check out my Etsy Favourite page for even more loved patterns and makers.
- SheweaveCraft Kits are full of texture and complete with beginner looms. These were a close second to the one I choose above, but I was overwhelmed trying to choose a size.
- WoolCoutureCompany could have easily supplied my crafting kit collection for the entire year. I had a hard time walking away from their selection of weaving kits, and will likely be back for inspiration and circle looms.
- The textures and colours on the WildWoven kits will make you swoon and feel good. Check them out for a smaller, earthier feel to your weaving love.
- Shaped looms at UnusualPear is bookmarked in my book for when I’m comfortable and ready for a rainbow, or circle, or maybe more.
WorldofWoolShop – Una the Unicorn Needle Felting Kit – my next adventure might be into the world of needle felting to create adorable little characters like this unicorn.
Share with me your favourite Craft Kit in the comments. I’d love to check out some new hobbies and explore something different.