Elemental Joy is not as easy to access as it was. Elemental Joy is now available at some Walmarts and big box retailers, but in Canada access to this product is limited.
This is a situation that if you are Canadian that I would recommend a different type of cloth diaper – check out this list of budget diapers in Canada.
Disclosure: I’ll work for diapers and money. This post is not compensated but I did receive diapers free to review from CozyBums Diapers. Where possible, I do use commissioned links to earn a commission from sales.
which cloth diaper is better?
Sometimes the answer of which is better is easy. However, sometimes the answer is a little more complicated. When Bummis redesigned the all in one cloth diaper and came out with the Pure, hands down the Pure was better. SmartBottoms redesigned the Dream Diaper, the 2.0 version is better.
But, this isn’t a comparison of a question of diapers, but rather an entirely different product. What might be better for me might not be better for you? Chances are none of this matters, and you are only here to see what the difference and similarities between the two cloth diapers. I’ve done a full reviewof the Elemental Joy. The Elemental Joy has changed a little since the original design sent to retailers.
Differences & Similarities
- Shape: The Elemental Joy and the bumGenius 5.0 have a similar shape. It’s not identical, but the general hourglass shape is present. The Elemental Joy appears to have a wider, and bigger overall shape compared to the bumGenius 5.0.
- Materials: Both cloth diapers use a laminated exterior with a microsuede interior. In hand, the quality on the bumGenius 5.0 is noticeably better.
- The same can be said for the snaps on the Elemental Joy which don’t operate as smoothly as the snaps on the bumGenius 5.0.
- Elemental Joy provides a 27×27 Cotton Flat Insert. bumGenius 5.0 offers a set of microfibre inserts.
- Sizing: Both diapers are sized for 8-35lbs (approximate), but the Elemental Joy fits noticeably larger.
- I only have one set of these diapers, but there may be some discrepancies in shape and sizing as shown in comparison photos taken by fellow cloth diaper blogger Mama Bananas Adventures.
- Waist Tabs: Classic patented stretchy tabs on the bumGenius 5.0 gives the diaper its perfect fit. Rather standard non-stretchy tabs are evident on the Elemental Joy (similar to most other pocket cloth diaper brands such as the Imagine Baby Pocket).
- Interior Design: bumGenius 5.0 features a PUL tummy panel across the interior of the diaper to provide an extra barrier from leaks. Elemental Joy does not.
- Pocket opening on the 5.0 is fancier with a hooded design, while the Elemental Joy is more cut and dry basic.
- Price Point: Both products are made in the United States, but they both offer two very different price points.
- Elemental Joy: Canada $13.90 CDN
- bumGenius 5.0: Canada $28.95 CDN
Which is better?
The bumGenius 5.0 is the better cloth diaper in my opinion. The higher quality materials win this dual of the diapers, as the Elemental Joys snaps continue to frustrate me with daily use. Further, the fit and functionality of the 5.0 are just that much better. I hate the icky microfibre on my hands, but I’ve swapped those out for Bummis Prefolds and Flats.