Did you know? You can cloth diaper for around $300 CANADIAN at CozyBums Diapers? No? If you thought cloth diapers were expensive and out of reach if you didn’t buy from overseas brands, then you were mistaken. Over the next little while, we are going to walk you thru some of the most affordable cloth diapering options at CozyBums Diapers. (CozyBums is an amazing local retailer in Northern British Columbia. They offer all of your diapering needs with quick, friendly service.)
Disclosure: As always being upfront with you because I did get this product for free – just the Sweet Pea Cover to talk about and promote. I also included affiliate links in this post. These links result in a small commission back my way with a purchase.
One of the most recent additions to the CozyBums location is the Sweet Pea Cover. They’ve carried the pockets and AIO diapers for some time, but upon intrigue brought in the cover. This Canadian brand, but made in the USA, cloth diaper cover rings in at an affordable $14. I owned a newborn Sweet Pea aio and the cover earlier on and loved the fit.
Covers & Prefold
Covers and Prefold (or flats) inserts are one of the most affordable ways to cloth diaper. Instead of paying for 24 individual diapers, you can pay for 24 absorbencies and 6-8 diaper covers. This minimal stash gives you just enough for laundry while keeping your price point low.
There are several options for Prefold cloth diapers at CozyBums: GroVia, Imagine, or Bummis. Bummis prefold cloth diapers are my go-to choice. This Canadian brand, Afghanistan manufactured, a Prefold cloth diaper is just right for my family. Find all my thoughts on the Bummis Prefold right here.
Grand Total: $172 CANADIAN
24 Alva pockets with bamboo: approximately $190 CANDIAN
(after exchange, additional duties and taxes may be applicable)
24 Bummis Pure AIO: $670
How to use a Sweet Pea Cover
This simple and straightforward diaper is a one size diaper ideal for weights 10lbs to 35 plus. It may fit smaller, and it may fit bigger depending on the size and structure of your kid. Additionally, what you put inside of it will impact overall fit and functionality. It’s variable. #nothelpful. It will fit most kids.
Cloth diapers will leak if the absorbency inside the diaper isn’t sufficient enough for your child, and if the fit isn’t right. You want a tight seal around the legs (it may leave nothing more than the lines of a tight fitting sock) and around the waist.
If you get leaks with any cloth diaper, reach out to your retailer and brand for support. CozyBums is excellent for providing that all over customer experience. Join the conversation at CozyBums Buzz on Facebook.
The cover needs to be adjusted to fit your child. Smaller babies will use a lower snap down rising setting, and larger babies a larger setting. While general guidelines exist for which size, you will know best if you need to go up a size. If you have troubles doing up the snaps around chunky things, or get a bit of a crack showing on the back try going up a rise setting. Babies will go up and down rise settings throughout changing as their body changes.
The Sweet Pea OS Cover can go with a fitted cloth diaper or folded flat, OR an insert can go on the inside. If you choose a Bummi’s Prefold cloth diaper, fold it in thirds and lay it down the middle. And then do up with the baby. At a diaper change, change out the soiled insert for a fresh new and dry one. Covers can be reused. Once poopy, I toss in the wash. If damp, let dry between uses. A cover can also be wiped out with a little water to stay fresher. Expect to get 3-5 changes out of a cover before retiring to be washed.
Functionality & Real Life of the Sweet Pea Cover.
- Sizing: Much like the pocket and other Sweet Pea products the sizing of the OS Sweet Pea cover is suitable for babies of all shapes and sizes. I make chunky babies and find the diaper fits great on both covers.
- Functionality: Not all cloth diaper covers fit well over absorbent inserts, but because of the beefy fit and design of this cloth diaper it fits over fitted and folded on diapers. It’s not my favourite for a fitted cloth diaper, but it has excellent butt coverage. It also fits over the Sweet Pea Fitted Cloth Diaper great. This is awesome if you want a cover that is versatile between flats/prefolds and fitted diapers. Sometimes we want to use fitted diapers for naps or bedtime. They offer more absorbency.
- Impossible Waist Snaps: Honestly, I only do up one of the double waist snaps when in a hurry, but if you do up all four waist snaps this diaper is nearly impossible for busy hands to bust open. Some determined toddlers will still be able to undo this.
- CrossOver Snaps: Awesome for the tiny babies, but even more awesome for doing the perfect roll up for star
- Laundry Tab: I think its the cutest and awesome for those of you concerned with wear and tear on the elastics when hanging.
This is a diaper worth trying. It’s a great price point and a great fit. Add the Sweet Pea Cloth Diaper Cover to your budget-friendly cloth diaper cart over at CozyBums Diapers. I love that this is an option to cloth diaper for under $200 Canadian.
Would I own more of the Sweet Pea One Size Cloth Diaper cover? Honestly, the multi snap waist and lack of belly PUL is a little bit of a turn off for me. I do use the Sweet Pea Cloth Diaper Cover regularly at night to tackle my fitted diapers because my regular choice for daytime doesn’t fit over a fitted diaper.
Let’s be real about my recommendations. I believe any diaper can and will work for most kids. As someone who owns one of almost everything, the diapers I love are based on personal preference. You won’t know that until you try it. I highlight what I love most about a cloth diaper in my reviews and showcase features that are just awesome. When deciding which diaper you need to try, I always recommend you pick a colour or print you love and start from there. #nothelpful.